Pages

Monday 19 August 2013

Book review: Geek Chic Crochet

Back with a crafty book review this week! 

Crochet! Since learning to knit (somewhat at least!) I've been intrigued by crochet as well. So having spotted a nice metal set if crochet hooks for a bargain price on eBay, and coming up to visit my craftily blessed Mum and Godmother, I thought I'd give it a go! 

An afternoon was duly spent with some bright pink wool to learn the basics (aided slightly by You Tube!) before opening my lovely new book! 


It's fab. It says it's drawn inspiration from the 60s and 70s with a retro vibe, but I think a lot of the things in here are so classic they'll fit in perfectly well with my mainly 50s style wardrobe! 

It's beautifully laid out and photographed throughout. The instructions in the back are simple and clear, teaching the basic stitches that you will need to complete everything in the book. 


There are so many things in this book I can't wait to make! All of the patterns are started with an easiness rating. One star, simples. Three stars, not so much! 

I've started with a lovely emerald green wool making the Turban Headband. 


I kid myself that I'll look like this when it's done, but it will be great for the airfield and cycling in the autumn! 

It's building up fairly quickly, much quicker than knitting, which is really gratifying for a complete beginner! 

I would recommend this book to anyone starting out with crochet as there are lovely patterns in there that appeal to all, but definitely with a retro vintage vibe! 


As you can see, plenty to keep you going! I think some of the things such as hats, scarves and bags would make lovely thoughtful Christmas presents too....

I'll leave you with a few of my favourite makes. Which will probably take me forever to get round to doing! Along with hours of practice at making the lace! 


Lacy Peter Pan Collar separate. 


Tank Top (there's a matching skirt too!)


Completely adorable Peter Pan Collar Cardigan


Vintage Lace Gloves

I'd better get busy!

Jo :-)

P.S. do you crochet? Want to learn? Got a favourite pattern or make? 

No comments:

Post a Comment